Monday, June 19, 2006

Time Management in a Week: Shift the Mindset

Welcome to week 2 of This Week with Sara Fitts! I'm glad you're here. I'm writing about time management strategies this week and I hope you find them helpful.

I think the first real secret to time management is shifting the mindset. We all have a certain, limited amount of time each day. It doesn't matter what else we do, the amount of time does not and will not change. The only thing we can really change is our mindset - and, of course, how we manage the time we have.

Shifting the mindset involves answering these questions:
  • How important is my time?
  • Where do I waste time?
  • Where am I managing my time well?
  • Am I trying to do too much in a limited timeframe?
  • What is the most important thing for me to accomplish today?

My bottom line is this: I must value my time in order for anyone else to value it. I must place a value on it - and hold that value both literally and figuratively. Within certain parameters I set my timeframes - and hold on to these timeframes. If I don't honor my time, no one else will ever honor it.

Shifting the mindset is the first real secret to managing time. Try it - and see what happens!

No comments: